The Barton Reading and Spelling Program
We use one of the most recently developed Orton-Gillingham systems, which are recognized as the only research proven effective methods in working with dyslexic individuals.
We achieve real, sustainable outcomes with our students because we are consistent in using our system in the way it is designed and in the setting for which it is designed. Our methods have been proven over many years of helping individuals achieve reading independence and fluency.
What makes us successful:
- We provide direct 1:1 instruction at least two times per week with each client
- We customize the pace of our instruction to help students progress as quickly as they can, but as slowly as they need
- This is our focus year-round. We provide ongoing instruction to our clients to help close the learning gaps as quickly as possible
- We provide instruction for those not yet ready for Orton-Gillingham based systems to prepare them for success in our system.
What Happens in a 1:1 Session
- Each session usually lasts about 50 minutes and occurs at least twice per week.
- Students progress though an established sequence of reading concepts, moving from the most simple to the more complex.
- All work is completed in a simultaneously multi-sensory fashion. Simply stated, a client sees it, hears it, says it out loud, touches it and moves it around all at the same time. This increases the ability to engage more areas of the brain so that learning can more easily occur.
- Each client is tested periodically during the instructional process by certified specialists to ensure mastery of the concepts and materials learned. A client is given ample opportunity for practice so that mastery is achieved for each concept. Mastery is critical for progress through our system.
- In our 1:1 instruction, we focus on the innate talents of our client. Each client is unique, with clearly identifiable gifted areas. We draw on those strengths to increase our client's confidence and self-esteem.
- What happens in our 1:1 instructional sessions changes how our clients view the world, often resulting in positive behavioral changes at school and home.